Saturday, June 4, 2011

Former Colombian leader thinks we should decriminalize drugs . . . hmm

In the words of Mr. Mackey from South Park, “drugs are bad. Mmkay?” Long-term drug use, no matter what the drug is, leads to some pretty jacked up health issues. I know that many pot-smokers, or people who have done it, say that it’s not as bad as cigarettes, but cigarettes I don’t think actually kill your brain cells.

So when a panel of “experts,” that consist of people from Mexico and Colombia say that the “war on drugs is a massive failure and we should think about decriminalizing some drugs,” I get the urge to punch a clown.

Time Magazine seems to support this claim that “maybe it’s time to decriminalize it.” I think they might be ignoring one big fucking elephant in the room on this one.

Sure, lets legalize pot and tax it. Lord knows the Mexican and Colombian governments wouldn’t stand to gain a gigantic fucking windfall from all of this. What’s better is that they have said that police have “used repressive measures,” to stop these criminals. I’m a bit confused here . . . since when is it repressive to bust someone and throw them in jail for breaking the law?

Did cops start executing drug dealers on the spot at some point? That must be why the big cartels are carrying AK’s and brutally murdering the families of law enforcement agents: because they’re being “repressed.”

As if that wasn’t enough, they tried to paint people who support the criminalization of drugs as those whose “drug policies are dictated by ideology and political convenience.” You’re right, being an anti-drug person is completely ideological. Of course, that drugs are almost never beneficial to a normal person’s health is not based at all on science or anything. It’s all just the here-say and horseshit of puritanical, conservative ideologues right?

If that were true then I wouldn’t want to drown a sack of kittens right now. But that’s not the case. I knew a guy that smoked pot like it was nobody’s fucking business in high school, and after about 2 years of that he actually started forgetting words. Simple words, like “tissue,” or “soda.” At the time he fortunately had the presence of mind to realize that it was probably his drug use that contributed to that.

But whatever, science and personal experience are all lies if they don’t match up with your pocketbook right? I mean, am I crazy for making the connection that two countries which are notorious for being home to drug producers and huge cartels are now saying they want to legalize it and tax it? And am I crazy for thinking that “progressive ideology,” has absolutely nothing to fucking do with it?

A wise professor of mine always chanted the mantra of “follow the money.” Legalizing this shit would basically be akin to telling the cartels “you won.” It would set a dangerous precedent if we said “well, people keep breaking this law, so the obvious solution is to get rid of the law.”

In-fucking-sane.

2 comments:

Silverfiddle said...

Being a libertarian, I understand the argument for legalization. Unfortunately, this country is not ready to deal with the libertarian consequences, which is why I am against legalization.

A perfectly functioning dad suddenly starts snorting legalized cocaine and blows his mind out, loses his job and the house and the family is on the street.

Until we are willing to say they get no government assistance, then we can't legalize drugs. Don't implement the libertarian laws if you can't handle the libertarian consequences.

Here's another thought. So they legalize it and regulate it and tax the crap out of it, driving the price higher and higher, creating a cheap bootleg market, and we're back where we started from.

Jack Camwell said...

To be honest it's an avenue that I'm not willing to go down for those very reasons, and I believe that America will never be ready for that type of stuff.

The only mind-altering substance that I've ever consumed is alcoholo, and I generally never drink to be drunk. I'm the type of person that always likes to be in control of his mental and physical faculties, and even small amounts of drugs can hinder that control.

In my own life, I simply don't see the need for that sort of escape, and it's destroyed enough lives for me to think that drugs are generally a bad thing.

That's actually one of the sticking points for me and Libertarianism. I don't think that I could ever vote for a Libertarian that has a pro-legalization stance.