Friday, August 12, 2011

Fucking 101 (FCK-101)

Her class would be completely unproductive.
To my readers and those whose blogs display my article titles, I want to first apologize for such a crass title.  Impulse control, even when I have ample time to correct something that might be a mistake, is not one of my finer qualities.

Soon, New York City schools will require mandatory sex education classes for their older students.  This isn't just a little talk that the school nurse has one day: these classes will be a semester long, and will teach about such things as STDs, proper condom use, and apparently how to rebuff unwanted sexual advances.  I'm no prude or anything, but I've got a bit of a problem with this.

First, shouldn't it be the parents that teach their kids about the birds and the bees?  Don't get me wrong, I am *not* looking foreward to having that discussion with my children when they come of age, but as a parent it's my job to make sure they're flying straight.  I know this notion of "personal responsibility," and being a "responsible parent," might have some flaws to it.  It seems like a lot of parents these days are all too willing to dump their parental responsibilities on outside entities, for what reason is beyond me.

It's also apparent to me that many parents these days are plain retarded.  They give their children too much freedom, and for some reason they expect their kids to just "figure out," the difference between right and wrong, ethical and unethical.  There's this weird movement towards laissez faire parenting, and I definitely think it's not a good thing.

Lewd and counterproductive, but I couldn't resist.
Don't get me wrong; I know that kids need to have some freedom to screw up, or else they'll never learn.  And I know that sometimes no matter how closely you watch them, they'll still get themselves into trouble.  I mean, that's sort of what you're supposed to do:  get in trouble when you're young and when the stakes are low.  That way when you're older, you'll have a much better appreciation for consequences (I'm speaking in generalities, of course).

I don't really remember anything from when I had to go through sex education.  I think I was in 5th grade at the time.  I do, however, remember the whole STD thing in health class in high school, which I do think is a valuable thing to teach kids.

But how many kids these days don't know that unprotected sex can lead to pregnancy by the time they're in high school?  I mean I guess it's possible that they might actually just not know, but it's far more likely that they just don't care or lack impulse control.  And how hard is it to put on a condom?  Isn't that something that we can just sort of assume that someone would be able to figure out pretty easily?

What I don't want out of this, however, is the thought that somehow this is all because of the softening of morality in America.  This has more to do with virtue than anything, and the growing lack of temperance.  This actually reminds me of Brave New World.  *Spoiler Alert* Aldous Huxley's future society was controlled not by totalitarian means, but they were controlled by themselves.  The theory was that if people were allowed to fulfill their every desire, they would no longer experience emotions like jealousy or rage.  it seems counterintuitive, but the people were given the absolute freedom to do as they please, and that ended up keeping them under control.

The lesson from that is that if we indulge in our desires too often, eventually we become slaves to our desires because we lose our ability to control our impulses.  Having no control over your life or your destiny is the very definition of slavery.

So perhaps we need to teach the kids about virtue and the value of temperance more than we need to teach them about how to fuck each other without getting pregnant or the clap.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what, i dont have kids... so you may not care about my oppinion.

A semester long course on sex ed is a great idea. I would add a clause that a parent or guardian would be able to opt their child out though. That would imply that they actualy give 2 shits about their kids and have taken care of the issues themselves. But if the parrents dont do it, a school should. I also think that the teaches teaching these courses should be trained to also be councilers about this kind of shit as well.

i think that alongside sex, STD's and whatnot, there should ABSOLUTELY be a split session for men/women that would address issues like "no means FUCKING NO!! you will go to jail for that shit." or "How to watch for preditory women (women to try to get preggers on purpose...) or watch out for jailbait" for guys, and classes about self respect and healthy body images for women.

I think the latter is almost more important now than ever due to the unrealistic standards that developing girls see every day online, magazines etc.


~Smitty

Silverfiddle said...

Point crudely made, and I agree.

I just look around and see that we have blown it on so many levels, and ceding responsibility to state-run schools is not the answer.

Anonymous said...

So, admitting that there is a problem and that these kids are NOT getting the facts of life. How would you solve it?

This program isnt a good idea because its offloading the responcibility of the parrents. its good because it will catch the kids whos parents dont give a fuck about.

~Smitty

Jack Camwell said...

The solution is lofty and idealistic, which are things that I normally chide, Smitty.

We need to get parents involved and engaged in this shit rather than just throwing our hands up and saying "fuck it, let the schools do it."

Ask yourself this, Smitty: if a kid's parents are too irresponsible to teach them about the birds and the bees, and the value of virtue and temperance, then what are the odds that it will make a difference if a school teaches them about the birds and the bees? If the parents are already that shitty, then it's likely that no matter what the kids know, they're going to make bad decisions.

I think it's ridiculous to imply that more teen girls are getting pregnant these days because they simply "don't know." It's not that they don't know, it's that they lack impulse control, and that's the larger issue at hand here.

Harrison said...

All I gotta say is that cartoon is AWESOME.

Regarding sex ed, we had a day or two in science class when I was in 8th grade in my Protestant school. It was kind of funny as I recall. This is an example of schools doing things that parents used to. Questions such as whether the school nurse should hand out condoms, etc... never used to be a topic of discussion for good or ill. I'm not sure how I feel about this... I guess it would depend upon what they were discussing and in how much depth.

Anonymous said...

I think we are arguing the same point. yes getting parents involve is the "correct" solution. but realisticly, in a LOT of places that simply does not happen.

As far as girls getting preggers because they dont know about unprotected sex... that moves more onto my point that they need to actually have some sort of "healthy body image/self confidance" class. Things that teach girls that they are actually worth something. I dont care who dissagres with me on this point the social structure of students is a preditory one.

Weak kids, be it physicaly or emotionaly are torn down every day at school. if they have no one at home to back them up, these girls will devalue themselves and their bodys to get attention.


~Smitty

Anonymous said...

Just put heavy doses of saltpeter in every boy's food till after he's safely married to a girl of his parent's choice. This should start at age ten -- no later.

Once married he'll soon lose interest in sex anyway.

~ FreeThinke

Jack Camwell said...

See, now you're starting to get what I'm saying. It's not the mechanics of sex or using protection that these kids need to be taught (because they'll learn most of it through their friends anyway), but it's something deeper that we need to get into.

The Humanities are going away in American education, and if ever there was something to teach you the worth of a human life, it would be that sort of course work.

Karen Howes said...

Completely agreed, Jack-- it is parents, and not Marxist government indoctrination centers ("public schools") that should teach kids about the birds and bees. Parents should be the primary educators of their children.

Yeah, your post title is a bit crude, but it makes the point well.


@ Smitty- do you really think that it is the place of schools to teach children about sex? Their job is, and should be limited to, teaching academics. Period.

The idea behind this is to corrupt youth. Since we've instituted "sex education" programs ("Hey, 1st graders, today we're going to learn about fisting!"), it has led to increased sexual activity and tons of teen pregnancies/births. NOT good.

Jack Camwell said...

I'm glad we can agree every once in a while Karen, and I'm glad that CFGM gives you an outlet to say what you really want to say (fisting made me LOL hard).

I will, however, give a slight disagreement to what you've said. I don't think that we can correlate the increase of sex education classes to the increase of sexual activity and pregnancy in teens.

Since the sixties, sexual morality in America has become a lot looser, and we're seeing the fruits of that as more and more generations are living under the tutelage of "freer" parents. I think you have the cause and effect mixed up.

Sex education did not cause an uptick in sexual activity among teens. I think the increased sexual activity in teens caused sex education.

Harrison said...

Just hand out that book called Your Mouth Can't Get Pregnant. It's a very short, EZ to understand book, actually.

Jack Camwell said...

Owned. LMFAO.

Good one Harrison.

Anonymous said...

Karen,

In my Rainbow Unicorn world that i seem to live in... no absolutely not. i do not think its school or any other institutions job to teach sex ed and self worth. Mothers and Fathers would sit down with their kids and instill wholesome family values like mine did.

I think that we can ALL agree that this is a topic best taken care of within a loving and caring family.


Now back to reality.
I do think that its more dangerous to have a bunch of people making babies (and worse terminating the pregnancys) that could or should have known better... or actually cared about the consiquences.
btw, im very much pro choice, but if you dont get pregnent you dont have to make that choice...

I absolutely think that if Mom and Dad cannot teach you how to say no, and that you have authority over your own body, that someone, somewhere should bring that to your attention.


~Smitty

Anonymous said...

Good post and Smart Blog
Thanks for your good information and i hope to subscribe and visit my blog STD Symptoms and more Scabies Causes thanks again admin