Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Music: Because I don't want to write anything today

A friend of mine who is a composer got me switched on to Igor Stravinsky.  He was truly a man who was ahead of his time, and his music is amazing.  So because I don't want to write anything for today, I'm going to post a youtube of an excerpt from his ballet Firebird.

This work is one of his earlier works, and it's before he started to do some of the riskier stuff.  What makes Stravinsky so amazing is that his music has so much content, even when he's trying to tone it down.  It's not a simple "I'M SO ANGRY," or "I'm so in love," type thing.  There's a depth to it that you can't fully grasp the first time you listen to it.

Enjoy.




2 comments:

Peter McCullough said...

Allen Sherman makes reference to Igor Stravinsky on his 1962 breakout album "My son the folksinger'. The song was "Oh boy". look it up. Aaah... the good old days.

Anonymous said...

The Rite of Spring

The Firebird

Petrouchka

All "revolutionary" in their time. Best experienced when heard accompanying the ballets for which they were originally written.

Startlingly brilliant, but I still prefer the classicism of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven, the romanticism of late Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, Schumann, Brahms, Wagner, Richard Strauss, Mahler, Hugo Wolf, and the impressionism of Ravel and Debussy to the harsh astringent. quasi-savage sounds of Stravinsky, and the serial tone rows of Arnold Schoenberg and Alban Berg.

Stravinsy was first and foremost an iconoclast.

~ FreeThinke