Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Something Is Really Pissing Me Off

I don't like to talk about my job very much because it sucks ass.  I work in a call center, which is a horrifying turn of fate for someone who considers himself to be an intellectual, so naturally I constantly want to gauge my eyes out.

Yesterday was particularly aggrivating because nearly every call I got was someone wanting to argue with me about shit.  I schedule appointments, so the arguments ranged anywhere from being pissed about availability, to what the appointment was actually supposed to be for, and things of the like.  For some bizarre reason, these people didn't want to believe a god damned word I said.

Why do people do that?  Sure, we should always question, but acting as if you know better, or arguing with someone when they've presented you with the reality of the situation in question, is not indicative of a healthy inquisitive attitude.  It's indicative of being an ignorant asshat who thinks the world should be fucking handed to you on a god damned plate.

Perhaps that's just a symptom to a larger societal problem that we've all talked about: the age of entitlement.  What is lame, though, is that I usually ascribe the "generation of entitlement" decriptor to the youngsters of today, but I'm seeing it in grown-ass adults.  Have we become such a welfare state that even grown adults, who should by all rights be people who understand that the path to success and happiness is to work hard, sit back and think that everything should just fall into their laps?

Clearly, the answer must be yes.  I know this is not true for all Americans, and probably not even for a majority of Americans, but it's just enough people to totally piss in my cornflakes most days.

And the worst part about it is that if I want to keep my job, I just have to fucking take it.  I can't tell them what giant shitheads they are, or tell them that they should not have no-showed their last appointment if they really really needed to get in right away.  I can't tell them that I think they are retarded, worthless drains on society's resources and that they are what's wrong with this country.

The irony about that, though, is that even if I were allowed to say what I thought to them, even if I were permitted to tell them what horrible people they are, it still wouldn't matter.  They'd just think I'm some bitter asshole who hates his life because he works in a call center, when all he could have done was have like 7 children and get the government to pay for it.  What a sucker I must seem to them.

No, they'd go on with their dispicable little lives believing that there is nothing wrong with them.  They would think I'm rude and just plain wrong.  Well guess what, you shitheads, I may be a rude, bitter asshole, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Fuck that job, and fuck all of them.

/endrant

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont think that the mentality of supidity or entitlement has gotten worse. what HAS is the attitude that those people should still be catered to.

used to be you could beat a man and kick him outside of your place of business........

~Smitty

Jersey McJones said...

Jack,

When I was younger, I got stuck with a call-center job (my current job is even worse, so don't complain!). The odd thing about this particular call-center is that the calls were coming from all over the world, all over the country, from almost every sector, every industry, every business, every personality - globally.

You know what?

People are all the same.

This has nothing to do with "entitlement."

This is about a fundamental fact of the universe: People are assholes. ;)

JMJ

Silverfiddle said...

I hear ya Jack. I see no reason to bust somebody's balls when I'm asking them to help me.

When we got cell phones the kids went crazy texting, sending pictures, internet, etc, even though I did not buy those services. I got a bill for $800 and I was pissed! I called Sprint and explained the situation to the customer service representative. I didn't abuse her, I asked her for help. She wiped the whole bill out other than the basic phone service we had ordered and she put a lockdown on the stuff I didn't want.

Also, I always try to follow this rule: Imagine you were talking to the person face to face.

I talk to people the way I would want people to talk to my wife or my daughters.

If that doesn't work, imagine you're talking to Mike Tyson.

Regardless, if you can't acknowledge the humanity of others and treat them with basic dignity befitting a fellow human being, you are an asshole.

Harrison said...

I'm in sales and make my living from dealing with the public. People think that they are "always right." All I do is factually point out how they're being unreasonable and talk to the manager if you don't like it.

Working with the public makes you not want to be around them.

Jack Camwell said...

I think you all have expressed some very true notions on this subject.

Harrison, I think you hit the nail on the head that people think they're "always right." It's hard for most people to admit when they're wrong to people they know, let alone a stranger.

Anonymous said...

Just pretend that their shit don't stink, and make them leave the conversation with a smile on their faces.

It's easy- it's simple, and though it isn't true- you will be amazed at how much better you feel- because you don't give a shit, and somewhere deep inside they know it.

Have a nice day! Want fries with that?