Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Why So Sensitive?

Well, today's article was supposed to be about how the HBO series True Blood is better than the Twilight movies, but a friend of mine threw down the gauntlet on me and said that it would probably be better for me to actually watch one of the Twilight films before I ream it a new asshole.  Since the Master Chef finale is on tonight thus keeping me from watching twilight, I guess I'll have to save that for tomorrow.

Instead, here is a rant about people being whiney bitches.

Of course we should be mindful of other people's feelings, but how come society as a whole has to be so god damned sensitive to anything that anyone says?

Someone in the US Consulate in India made a remark that "smacked of racism."  I'm going to throw the bullshit flag on this one.  The woman was recounting a 72 hour train ride to some college students, and she said that "after 72 hours, my skin became dirty and dark like the Tamilians."

Sure, a retard might take that to sound racist, but lets examine the logic of the statement.  The woman who said this is white, so in order for her skin to become dark like the Tamilians, it would have to become dirty.  Since she was on the train ride for 72 hours, and since the conditions were likely pretty dirty themselves, it makes sense that her skin would have been darkened a little bit.

But of course, people took offense to it, and now she has to apologize.  And of course being offensive wasn't her intention, but that doesn't matter.  All that matters is that some asshats took what she said out of context.

This might not be a big deal to some people, but for people like me it's pretty fucking grating on my nerves.  Although America is a guilt culture, in my head I'm living in a shame culture.  So for me, public affronts to my character actually mean something.  I try not to do things that are legal yet unethical, because I don't want to live with the shame.

So can we, as a society, please stop crying and fucking whining about everything that everyone says?  That would make my life a lot easier, and my blog a lot more readable.

8 comments:

Peter McCullough said...

Although I have, in the course of my lifetime, told many people to go fuck themselves, to the best of my knowledge none of those people have actually gone and done so. And yet I have not taken offense to my being ignored by these insensitive assholes. So my point is if everyone could learn to not be so sensitive to personal insult, racial or otherwise, directed at them through either commission or omission we could all get on with racial humor and laugh at ourselves and others just like in the good old days before our society and culture was taken over by fucking assholes who should go fuck themselves.

Harrison said...

She's a diplomat. That was very undiplomatic. She should simply be replaced with someone who has better judgement.

Jersey McJones said...

These sorts of sensitivity issues fall under the smart Justice Potter Stewart's notion about knowing things when you see them - or when you hear them, as it goes. It's certainly not a partisan issue. Conservatives are just as sensitive as everyone else.

JMJ

Karen Howes said...

Totally with you, Jack. There's an aussie comedian Steve Hughes who does a great bit about the culture of "offense" we live in-- it's funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cycXuYzmzNg

Silverfiddle said...

I too am tired of everyone taking offense at everything.

Seems every day one aggrieved group or another is blasting out some demand for an apology...

Of course, what this leads to is the insincere apology just the get the yapping dogs to shut up.

Oops, did I just call a group of people yapping dogs? I'm sorry ;)

Jack Camwell said...

Peter your humor is always a pleasure here, and it rarely fails to make me lol.

Silver, I think the apologies are insincere in the sense that the person is not contrite for what he or she said, but rather that others were offended by it.

Peter McCullough said...

Jack, My personal mantra has been, for as long as I can remember, "Life's stupid, keep laughing." Feedback from folks like you serve as encouragment for my continued campaign of satirical sarcastic stupidity...Thanks.

Harrison said...

People don't say "I'm sorry" they say "I'm sorry you were offended."

BIG dif.