Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Confessions of a Ganker

If someone like this appeared next
to you, there was a good chance
you were fucked . . .
I should probably be somewhat ashamed to admit this, but I'm not.  For about 9 months I played World of Warcraft.  I might have admitted that before, but whatevs.

I played WoW mostly because a friend of mine begged me to.  Well, once I learned that I could gank people at will, I suddenly became more interested.  For those of you who may not know, ganking refers to killing another player while they are trying to quest or something.

Naturally, I played a rogue.  Stealth, burst damage, almost your worst nightmare.  Some of my friends can attest to the fact that I was a giant douche bag in terms of ganking, as I was fairly good at it depending on whom I went up against.  I got fairly fucked up with my tactics.  I've been known to stay stealthed near mineral nodes, waiting for some unsuspecting bastard to come mine it, only to blow my dps load all over his face.

At one point, I would go trolling in a place called the Elementium Depths, because there were a lot of quests there as well as mineral nodes and NPCs that would make life harder for people.  When that got boring, or less fruitful, I would go to their towns and kill their griffon masters (the guys that allowed them to fast travel).  I'd get about 10 people stuck in one spot at a time.

Why the hell did I do this?

Well, I did get quite a bit of satisfaction out of it, especially when the person getting ganked would jump on his alt character in my faction to yell at me.  It didn't really bother me that much whenever I got ganked.  I mostly only got mad if I couldn't beat the guy.  I always welcomed the challenge, and I asked for help from my friends if I couldn't get out.

I guess I enjoyed it because I know the game wasn't very important to me, but that it was important to most of the people who played.  I guess it makes me somewhat of a bad person, the fact that I enjoy inflicting discomfort and suffering upon other humans.  But can you blame me when it's so much fun?

I plan on doing the same thing in Star Wars: The Old Republic.  The best part is that we know Star Wars fans are always hard core, so ruining it all for them will be even sweeter.  Don't like it?  Don't play on a PvP server =p

No comments: