Sunday, October 2, 2011

If you could be an X-Men mutant, what power would you have?

If you're not at all familiar with X-Men, then that's okay.  The question could simply read: what super power do you most want?

Yesterday, Damien mentioned something about power on my article about how war is retarded, and that got me thinking.  What is it about power that so profoundly affects the human mind?  We all want to think that we're benevolent creatures.  We want to believe that we would weild power justly, and not allow it to poison and twist our minds.

But is there any human on this planet that could actually do so?

Perhaps there are some religious figures that could weild it justly.  The Pope has a tremendous amount of influence and power, and the popes that I can remember seem to do so with humility and conscience.  The Dalai Lama doesn't abuse his influence and power.  But then we see plenty of religious figures who use their power and influence for evil.  Whether it's a Muslim extremist trying to blow shit up, a Catholic priest getting young boys to blow him, or some bible-thumping pastor trying to swindle people out of their money, power still has a tendency to distort even the best of people.

If I were an X-Men mutant, I'd have the power of Charles Xavier: the ability to read, and in many cases control, the minds of other people.  When I was musing about this the other day, a sudden realization dawned on me.  I knew that if I had such a power, that I would probably not use it for good.  The temptation to use it purely for my own benefit would likely be too great.

I mean, how could I resist convincing Mila Kunis to be my sex slave?  How could I not make Obama depants himself during the State of the Union Address?  How many idiots do you think would be left living if I had such a power?

The worst part about it is that I'm very good at feigning certain emotions or attitudes.  I love being in charge of things.  I love having control of other people.  However, you wouldn't really know it because I always act like it is such a burden that I'm always willing to lay down.  I pass it off as "well, I just want to make sure that it's done right."

I guess being a badass means you can
wear whatever ridiculous costume you
want.  I mean, who's gonna make fun of
fucking Wolverine?
The truth is that I'm probably no different than anyone who enjoys power and would likely abuse it for his or her own benefit.  I'm generally a good person.  Some of you might think that I'm a bit too Machiavellian or morally gray for your own personal tastes, but generally I try to do the right thing and bring happiness to people rather than pain and sadness.  So if I know I've got that demon inside me, I think it would be reasonable to assume that many, many more people do, too.

So the question is a two-parter: What super power would you have, and do you think you could handle having such a power?  I'd love to hear from all of my readers, as this is an interesting question that actually says a lot about a person's personality.

Enjoy your Sunday!

2 comments:

Silverfiddle said...

I would not want a super power, for the reasons you cite. I know I would set out using it for good but end up using it for evil.

Tolkien addresses this issue beautifully in The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

A shorter, modern-day version is the last Batman movie. Is Bush Batman?

D Charles QC said...

I agree to a point with Silver, ultimate power would corrupt and thus if super power was forced upon me I could see myself being a bit like Hancock or a reclusive Superman. In otherwords I would simply use my powers to guarentee being left alone and avoid humanity in fear of not failing to help them but the powers ultimately hurting them.

Mind you, having a "jumper" type of teleport skill would be a great saver on costs, customs and immigration, eh?