Monday, November 14, 2011

The Call to Skyrim

So this week's dumbass idea is more of an excuse as to why I wrote nothing at all this weekend.  For those of you who don't know, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim came out Friday.  I've been completely engrossed in that game.

It's an amazing piece of work.  Bethesda has truly outdone themselves with this game.  The mechanics are as good as always, there's clearly a metric fuck ton of content in the game (I probably won't be able to tackle it all in anything less than 40 hours, maybe even 80 if I stick to doing everything I possibly can), and the scenery of the game is absolutely breath taking.

So if I'm absent for a bit, or making smaller, less thoughtful posts, it's because I'm a giant nerd and I'm completely geeking out over this game.

If you're into gaming and you haven't already, I seriously suggest you get this game.  It will probably be game of the year, and it could even get a metacritic score as high as Half-Life 2 (which had a score of 99).  Although I haven't beaten it yet, I'm going to go on record and say that Skyrim may be one of the greatest games of all time, if not Bethesda's greatest creation thus far.

5 comments:

Harrison said...

Don't you need some serious hardware to play it?

Jack Camwell said...

Excellent question Harrison. I'm not sure what the minimum specs are, but I'm running it with a core i7 920, an EVGA 285 (the 2 gb version), and 6 gb of OCZ gold. My PC is about 2 years old, and it plays the game almost flawlessly on the "utlra" graphics settings.

My friend, the guy that built my PC, plays with less than what I have, and he says it plays beautifully as well. I think Bethesda wanted as many people as possible to be able to play this.

Harrison said...

When I played Fallout 3 I had to have everything dialed back.

Jack Camwell said...

I think this plays better/smoother than Fallout 3. I think it's built on the same engine, but they've had some time to optimize it.

I've tried it on medium, and the quality is still amazing.

I'm impressed that you've played Fallout 3 =)

Harrison said...

All I know is every 10th post on Reddit is about this game.