Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Why I Write? To end the circle jerks, of course

Yesterday I made a post about the Komen Foundation and how retarded pretty much everything surrounding the whole ordeal was.  The point of my post was that the Komen Foundation is a private charity, or whatever, and this not being Nazi Germany or Commie China, the foundation is allowed to donate its money where ever the fuck it wants, and it's fairly stupid that people criticized them and politicized the whole damn thing.

Well, Jersey thought it necessary to inform me that Planned Parenthood doesn't perform a ton of abortions each year, and that abortions only represent a small portion of the services offered at Planned Parenthood.  My response to Jersey, in a nutshell: So fucking what?

I don't care if Planned Parenthood did zero abortions a year.  I don't care if they performed a billion abortions a year.  That factoid, that point that was brought up, had absolutely nothing to do with anything that I wrote in my article.  It was so beside the point of what I was trying to say, that I broke my rule and gave an acerbic response to Jersey, who is a faithful reader.

But don't think for one second that this is just directed at Jersey.

Why do any of you blog?  Some of you truly just want to get your message out there.  But more often than not, your message is going nowhere.  Why?  It's not your fault.  It's going nowhere because most people don't like to argue, and they don't like to feel as though they are wrong.  So they're going to visit blogs that more closely resemble their beliefs and what not.  Take Crooks and Liars for example.  I used to visit that site often, but I don't anymore.

"What's the matter Jack, were they too good for you?  Are they too smart for you?"  I don't doubt that many of them are well educated people, but I also know that 99% of those people are so entrenched in their beliefs that they long ago abandoned the ability to actually listen.  They believe in the truthfulness of their facts and statistics, and when presented with a fact or truth that is contrary to what they believe, they dismiss the contradiction as false or mere propaganda.

Why?  Because they're afraid of being wrong.  They're already stressed and shitty enough believing that they have the answer and hoping that their answer wins out because of how awful everything is.  How much worse would they feel if they suddenly realized that they're all full of shit and don't have the answer?  Not only would everything be shitty, but they wouldn't be able to feel the comfort of being "right."

Most people only want to hear what they want to hear.  They read what they want to read.  They don't care about your message, or my message.  All they care about is proving some point that makes them feel warm and fuzzy about their worldview.

So why do I write?  Well, I do it because so many of you have given up on listening.  An article by John Carey on PR yesterday really hit it home for me.  We get to thinking that we've got it all figured out.  All of intellectual history as culminated into this moment, and magically, John Carey and others have the solution.

You all know what America is supposed to be.  If only everyone would listen, all of our problems would be solved.  Your vision of America is it.  It's the pinnacle of human existence.  The whole damn world would benefit from following your plan for prosperity.  Let me engage in a little experiment.

I'm right and you're wrong.  Everything you believe is a lie perpetrated by (insert political party/person/group) in order to subjugate you and destroy every last shred of liberty you may hold.  All of my facts are based on 100% truth, and they are irrefutable.  All of your facts are complete falsehoods.  I know, with complete and utter certainty, what this country needs to survive and prosper, and any deviation from that is an indication of ignorance and lack of education.  If you believe anything other than what I say, you are a moron and worse, a sheeple.  Fuck you, you (Liberal/Conservative) douchebag.

How does that sound?

4 comments:

Silverfiddle said...

You are right about people being entrenched and only wanting to hear their point of view.

That's why I give Jersey props, even if he does spout BS most of the time. At least he's out there.

I started blogging because I wanted to test my ideas and beliefs. Believe it or not, many of them have changed because of the encounter.

Country Thinker said...

Blogging is part-and-parcel with novel writing, political activism, and other activities I pursue to save this country from the statists for my son. Almost everyone is open to new ideas, but just for very limited windos on limited subjects. You need to be ready when the time comes.

But then again, I tend to be an optimist. A 4-year-old son will do that to you!

Jersey McJones said...

Jack, I was instantly taken aback by your regurgitation of a myth. Very early in your post, before your full point was made, you said something that simply wasn't true.

This is a reason I blog: to convince decent, smart people, who seem to think differently than me, to think honestly and true, and so we all learn and grow together, arguing things out.

But we can't honestly argue with wrong information, with incorrect "facts."

JMJ

Anonymous said...

Jackie,

As much as we talk about people being set in their ways and barely ever changing their mind and what not... isn't that somewhat of a mixed blessing? I mean... if right now I could wave a magic wand and make everyone believe in what I do, I would not do it. I feel people are just meant to be different.

A person's core personality is supposedly shaped by age 21, not sure if I agree that everyone is formed by then, but for myself it holds true.

If you are simply looking for open-mindedness amongst people you are going to find unless you prove to be some popular authority on something, that people will barely listen to you.

Take me for instance, people listen to what I say about computers and technology, because they have been point blank overwhelmed by my experience. Meanwhile I could scream my nuts off about just about anything else and get scoffed at by the people we know.

It's no different than you talking about the professor you had that could take whatever argument you had against him, drop it on its head, twist it around like a balloon animal and before long get you to admit the truth was the exact opposite of what you initially said.