Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Dumbass Idea of the Week: Fake Cancer Fraud Edition

What do you do when you come to the realization that you need a shit load of money to fund your dream wedding and a honeymoon to the Caribbean?  You fake cancer of course!

Jessica Vega, 25, of New York lied about having cancer and used the money donated to her cause to pay for her wedding and a fairly baller honeymoon.  Somehow she was caught, and she was ordered to pay back all the money she scammed from people, roughly $13,000.

The funny part is that she's now divorced.  I can just see the conversation "so, hunny, where'd you get all the cash?"

"Oh, I told a bunch of people that I have cancer, and I conned them into giving me money."

I can imagine that her husband at the time was likely very much alerted to the prospect that he could not trust his darling wife.  Go figure.

Oh well I guess.  Anything for the perfect story-book wedding, right?


2 comments:

KP said...

When my daughter was in high school she was diagnosed with stage four alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma. She underwent a year of chemotherapy and radiation. One of her classmates pretended to have cancer. To say that we were a bit surprised is an understatement. It's like pretending you are dead so that you can be remembered on Memorial Day!

Silverfiddle said...

I'm glad she was caught and punished. What a despicable person.