Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Anonymous Howard Beale: Stop Shitting on Eachother!

The Anonymous Howard Beale was kind enough to email this to me.  He posted this on Facebook (I think) and since he knows that I actively boycott Facebook, he emailed it to me.  This spoke to me, so I figured I would share.

Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have one of those minds that distills information at an incredible rate, so incredible in fact I often times find myself thinking and calculating instead of acting. It is as if I am a multi-billion dollar supercomputer stuck on the shell prompt with 600,000 commands and routines at my disposal and no one at the terminal. It is an odd thing to describe, being paralyzed in a sense by my own thoughts.

Ideas a thousand times an hour, little ideas, big ideas, holy shit type of ideas... one of the recurring themes in the past year or so for me has been what is this all about? When one of my closest friends beat cancer, I know he went through a bit of a transformation. Last night another one of my oldest and closest friends damn near got killed, but luckily he was uninjured. Do we thank a Creator for this? Do we just be thankful in general?

Sadly, things like this go the other way every single day on this planet, and when they do people generally say there was a reason. I am starting to feel however that this elusive "reason" things like this happen for the better or for worse is not by design or fate. I am leaning more towards the conclusion that collectively, humanity is in control of most of these situations. Please take note I am not saying the individual person is at fault, because that is rubbish... but people as a whole contributed significantly to the outcomes of life, and of happiness or misery.

If you can assume for a moment that in fact we are in control in 99.99% of the time, then you will realize quite quickly that it would be impossible for anyone to detect the interplay between your actions or inactions and the unknown consequences of those choices. Thereby giving all of us the illusion of "fate". I know this sounds a bit like Chaos Theory, but bear with me.

Billions of years ago, a star exploded that contained the building blocks of everything and everyone that ever was or ever will be on this planet. Millions of years ago some living organism died and is now residing in the fuel tank of Air Force One. Thousands of years ago our ancestors toughed it out in an unimaginably hellish world of ignorance and survival, and you reading this today is the most recent result of their hardship. Hundreds of years ago people decided to finally explore the world, and now today we are irrevocably changed by this. Ten's of years ago, people were focused on the most efficient and devastating ways of destroying other people, and today we are focused on the most efficient and devastating ways to destroy resources.

A few years ago, people in general had no idea what the internet was, today you can't go through modern life without it referenced a dozen times. A year ago, the Standard Model wasn't 100% validated, today it pretty much is. A month ago you could of had a bad day at work or at school, but today it doesn't matter. A week ago you could have interacted in a small way with someone, but today you can't even remember their name. Yesterday someone was here amongst us, alive, all of their life experiences and memories intact and today, they are not, and gone with them forever is their unique talents, perspective, imagination and personality.

You see it doesn't really matter how you slice it or rationalize it, this ride we all are on has an ending. The lap bars of the rollercoaster will eventually unlock and you will be finished, your trip through the twists, turns, loops, laughs, tears, pain, joy, fright, and thrills of life over. No do overs, no take backs, no reset switch, no backup battery. Realize that everything we do as a species and as a people, drives us either towards substance or oblivion. The choices we make right now is setting the stage and writing the script to the next age of humanity as it was written and set for us.

tl:dr version: Stop being part of the fucking problem.

Be considerate, be thoughtful, mindful, aware and responsible for your actions and the foreseeable effects they have.

We can't stop all the shit from happening, but we can at least choose to not shit on each other.

Stop believing some higher power is acting like Geppetto and has some deathgrip on the puppet strings of our world.

Start believing instead in your own ability and will, and of the power of those around you.

11 comments:

Silverfiddle said...

I am leaning more towards the conclusion that collectively, humanity is in control of most of these situations.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

We are not God's wind-up toys. He gave us free will, and we use it to crap all over one another, but we're crapping in our own water stream so it all comes back and infects us all.

FreeThinke said...

Yes -- to both of you.

Thanks especially to Jack, however, for his thoughtful, generally well-phrased contributions to the Homosexuality Threads at Western Hero.

I was surprised to find that despite the vast differences in our ages, we are on the same wavelength about some very fundamental issues concerning a proper, salubrious basis for morality.

I offend Kurt, because at heart I'm a Pelagian. Most Roman Catholics are Augustinian, of course. Ages and ages ago the two men were rivals in the attempt to win the heart of the nascent Church.

Unfortunately for the future of mankind and of Christianity -- in my happily heretical view -- Augustine won and Pelagius lost.

No one knows exactly what happened to Pelagius, but I feel morally certain the Ecclesiastical Power Brokers of the time had him taken away to a dungeon somewhere and had the poor fellow tortured unmercifully and then put to death in some long lingering rhapsody of anguish that must have rivalled or possibly exceeded that of the Crucifixion, itself.

History is written in the blood of countless innocent victims. The history of the Church is no exception.

~ FreeThinke

Jack Camwell said...

Thank you for your support FT. It means a lot =)

FreeThinke said...

It's sincere, believe me, Jack.

Hey! Come visit my still-new blog. It's quite different.

You might enjoy the change of pace. You never know what I might post. A lot of it is an attempt to put a light touch on serious matters.

We need to see the humor in even the darkest subjects.

http://freethinkesblog.blogspot.com/?zx=da63e836789862c5

Silverfiddle said...

"I offend Kurt..."

Don't flatter yourself.

A man like me who enjoys whacking hornets nests had better have very thick skin. I sincerely can't remember the last time I was offended.

Taking offense is for sissies.

FreeThinke said...

ACH, mein Freund! So you ADMIT to having the Sadistic streak I suspected was there all along.

Just be careful you don't turn WH into the moral equivalent of a Cock Fight.

Baiting poor innocent creatures just so you can have the fun of watching the fur fly is unworthy -- especially of the you I thought I had come to know pretty well.

As you must know, I don't mind engaging in argument -- better called debate, if we want to give it an aura of dignity and importance -- but I tend to get impatient with argument merely for the sake of argument.

Some of the themes we touch upon are too important and cut too deep to treat as mere red meat for the dogs to devour.

~ FreeThinke

FreeThinke said...

Finally read the post all the way through. I agree pretty much with the conclusions about what one can do, cannot do and ought to do with our time, but I would argue against dismissing God as irrelevant to the way we live our lives.

God may be something much different than anything formerly imagined with the little we have to go one from the Bible.

God is all-in-all, infuses, animates and is an integral part of every atom in the Cosmos.

We could no more do without God than we could without air, sunlight, earth, or water.

God is the unifying force that holds everything together.

God is the embodiment and perfect expression of -- and this is a well-known metaphysical definition, I did not make it up -- Life, Truth, Love, Principle, Intelligence, Spirit and Soul (which I prefer to call "Character," since "Soul" to me is a nebulous term).

It takes a great deal of thought to begin to understand what that implies. All I can say right now is that each of those seven elemental phenomena are synonymous and interchangeable with one another.


This understanding of what its means when we refer to "God," which is only a shorthand "umbrella" term for the metaphysical phenomena, is the only concept that makes sense out of the Bible and helps us to separate the wheat from the chaff among the cryptic, maddeningly inconsistent, perplexing, counter-intuitive, counter-productive, quasi-Sadistic, elements in the Scriptures.

I'm seriously devoted to daily prayer and contemplation, and search endlessly for reasons to CONTINUE and ENHANCE my faith.

Fundamentalism, of course, could only force me to abandon it altogether, as it has so many highly intelligent people who can't accept what-they-see-as mere Mumbo Jumbo.

I WANT to believe, because if I did NOT believe, life would be untenable and suicide would be inevitable.

I'm approaching the age of 72. So far, my evolving understanding of Truth (God), Love (God) and Principle (God) has carried me to ever greater heights of fulfillment and enjoyment of whatever Life (God) has to offer me.

Take care, Jack. God bless you, and may you find the way to make your peace with all the ugly, irritating, unrewarding things that come your way. That never stops, but with a bit of luck - and faith -- coping becomes easier and easier as time goes by.

~ FreeThinke

Silverfiddle said...

Interesting how you impute motive to my actions. I am sincerely interested in why people think and believe things.

I also like to have my own thinking challenged, it keeps you from getting sloppy and falling into mental laziness.

Anonymous said...

I bet Jackie didn't plan on this, lol.

A word about what FT said and hopefully this clarifies my position.

I am not advocating people abandon the belief in a Creator, because that would be in my definition, shitting on people.

What I am advocating here is the mass realization that no matter what your religious status, you don't outright deny your own personal power and responsibility to your fellow man during your life.

Belief in a Creator manifests itself in a billion different ways, and I am speaking to those that put a majority of their stock in the concept of "The Creator is responsible for everything" because clearly that is not the case. A Creator very well may have defined the parameters and limitations of our existence, but to say this Creator is responsible for our actions and their outcomes is both an affront to the Creator and the accomplishments of humanity.

If you feel the Creator is in control, then you can do whatever you wish without fear of any consequences. Nothing you could possibly do will ever be original, unexpected, or against the plan. I feel that is an absolute reckless way to live your life, regardless of your religious status. It is faulty logic to think the Creator is in absolute control, and then claim we have a choice to believe or not believe in the Creator.

Silverfiddle said...

"A Creator very well may have defined the parameters and limitations of our existence, but to say this Creator is responsible for our actions and their outcomes is both an affront to the Creator and the accomplishments of humanity."

Amen again!

Sociologists has posited that this mindset contributes to the overall jacke-upedness (apologies, Jack), of Islam-dominated cultures.

May we not head in their direction, Inshallah...

Knightkkld said...

ACH, mein Freund! So you ADMIT to having the Sadistic streak I suspected was there all along. Just be careful you don't turn WH into the moral equivalent of a Cock Fight. Baiting poor innocent creatures just so you can have the fun of watching the fur fly is unworthy -- especially of the you I thought I had come to know pretty well. As you must know, I don't mind engaging in argument -- better called debate, if we want to give it an aura of dignity and importance -- but I tend to get impatient with argument merely for the sake of argument. Some of the themes we touch upon are too important and cut too deep to treat as mere red meat for the dogs to devour. ~ FreeThinke