Sunday, September 9, 2012

To Promote the Arts . . . And a Friend

I have posted some of his music here before, I think.  My good friend, James Rubino, is a composer and now a graduate student at Yale.  I always joke to him that now he's "made it to the big leagues."  For his senior recital, he compsed a piece that is set to a play that he and I both enjoyed, Caligula.

Written by Albert Camus, Caligula peers into the life of the mad Roman emperor.  The play is very excellent.  In that way that only Camus can do, he takes us on a journey with a man who has gone insane and seeks to take all of his ideas to their "logical conclusions."

This, is the music that would be set to such a performance.  Please, support the arts, and my friend, and remember to like and favorite!  Enjoy!!!


3 comments:

Silverfiddle said...

He's a talented man...

Thanks for sharing!

FreeThinke said...

Chilling! Excellent as an underlying accompaniment to an exposition of progressive insanity and the overwhelming sense of terror and despair that invariably accompanies indulgence in depravity.

One hears influences from Arnold Schoenberg, Alban Berg, Igor Stravinsky, Bela Bartok, Charles Ives et al.

This music, however, is suitable only as accompaniment -- underlayment -- I doubt if it could stand on its own as a concert piece.

Sounds rather like something written for an episode of The Twilight Zone.

Reminiscent also of the music composed for The Haunting of Hill House.

Good -- not yet great -- would be my estimation.

~ FreeThinke

Jack Camwell said...

Yes, FT, you are right in that those composers you mentioned serve as influences on my friend's music. I think Starvinsky is his favorite.

He also got me switched on to Berg.

I can only speak so much for his piece on his behalf, but yes, this is more for acompanyment. Of course it is supposed to convey a certain perspective and generate a specifif mood, but the ultimate goal is for this to serve as the overture to an opera. His "long-term" project, if you will.