Saturday, November 3, 2012

Reason for My Absence

First of all, thank you to everyone who has commented on any of my work in the past week.  Your continued participation is greatly appreciated.

The reason I have been absent is because of a brown out that totally tanked the mother board on my PC.  It blew a capacitor in the power supply and completely raped the BIOS.  My friend, the Anonymous Howard Beale, has been working diligently to get my PC up and running again.  A big thanks to him!

I'm writing this from my mother's computer, so unfortunetly I'm not up and running just yet.  My promise to all of you is this: I will make a 3-part article spectacular on some subject that I think people might be interested in.

And as an added incentive, I will take suggestions on what the topic should be.  What do you want me to write about?  It's not me being lazy, it's me making up for my absence.  I wan to give the people what they want.

So please, give me suggestions on what you would like me to write about on some length.  The only thing I ask is that you PLEASE not ask me to write about economics.  I hate economics.

Thank you to my readers, and hopefully I will be able to fully participate again soon.

BTW:  In my absence, I've passed the 200,000 pageviews mark!  Peanuts to some of you, but it's a nice accomplishment in my mind.

4 comments:

FreeThinke said...

Never thought you were lazy, Jack -- just the opposite in fact.

I, for one, was starting to get worried about you. I was afraid you might have gotten discouraged or depressed at either the national scene in general or possibly not getting the kind of response you'd hoped for from some of us.

Very sorry to learn of your 'puter problems. Apparently a battery backup was not enough to prevent the disaster? You DO have one, don't you?

When I was a kid -- way way back before the Civil War ;-) -- we never had power outages, except in hurricanes and the like, which were very very rare then.

I think the power grid (s) have become so over burdened that consistent service is much more difficult to maintain.

Were I live -- a highly civilized, generally well-to-do medium sized city -- we have outages ALL the time, but usually of very short duration.

My system got blown up by lightning three years ago -- direct hit to the modem. A terrible mess!
When I was publishing the newspaper and the two periodicals, I used to leave the machine on all the time with no ill effects. I wouldn't dare do that where I am now. TUrn it off every time I leave the bench -- even just to take a whizz. ;-s

Good luck to you! Thanks for reporting to us. One less nagging fear to deal with.

Best,

FreeThinke

Silverfiddle said...

I'd be interested in hearing your take on the teaching profession, specifically the bureaucratization, politics and teachers union aspects

KP said...

I would be interested in your views of leadership. Ther common characteristics of a great leader (military, classroom, coaching, politics, parenting, etc) and how you think leadership style might change in various settings.

Some thoughts:

I want to please a leader. I do not want to let a leader down (teacher, parent, employer).

Can leaders spur loyalty?

Encourage excellence?

Why do some coaches take an NFL franchise from mediocrity to the Super Bowl without large roster changes?

Respect for a leader vs love

Fairness vs ideology

Cheers,

Kevin

FreeThinke said...

So where the hell are you?

Hurry up and come back.

We miss you.

~ FreeThinke